Refunds typically take 5 - 10 working days to be processed and show on the customers statement. We would advise however giving it a few more days, up to 14 working days, just in case there have been any unforeseen delays processing it.
Here are the key points to consider if a customer contacts you saying they have not received their refund:
- Firstly check the time frame - has it been longer than 12-14 working days, accounting for any holidays?
- Check the order in your Line-Up account to ensure a refund was issued (rather than tickets being cancelled and no refund issued).
- Confirm the customer is checking the correct statement - for example they may be checking their bank statement but paid with a credit card. The refund will go back to the card the customer paid with.
- Check the status of the transaction in your Stripe account - login to your Stripe account and search for the order. The order will have a note at the top saying refunded - if for any reason the refund was not able to be completed, Stripe will notify you there. From Stripe you will also be able to find out if the customer paid with a debit or credit card and get the last 4 digits of the card to check they are looking at the correct statement.
- Check the card expiry date - whilst in Stripe you will also be able to see the expiry date of the card. If the card has expired, the refund should automatically go to the replacement card but the customer may need to check this with their bank/credit card provider.
- Reversals - sometimes the refund will take the form of a reversal, meaning the original payment will simply disappear from the account statement and the balance will show as though the charge never occurred. It is therefore worth checking if the customer is still seeing the original transaction on their statement. If there has been a reversal then the original charge will no longer show on their statement.
If you have gone through the above and the customer is still saying they can't see the refund, then as long as the refund is showing in your Stripe account, the customer should contact their bank or credit card provider (whichever they paid with) to find out more as it has been fully processed on this side so it would then be down to their bank/credit card to determine where it is.
Further information regarding refunds can be found on the Stripe support pages
NOTE: Always issue refunds through your Line-Up account, rather than through Stripe directly in order to ensure all reporting is accurate.
Article is closed for comments.