Scroll down for the Step-by-Step Guide on how to process exchanges
KEY TERMS & TIPS:
How do I process exchanges?
From the order page and choosing which channel you want to exchange through, before being taken to the basket.
How do exchanges work?
When you start an exchange, the current tickets in the order will be added to the basket in the Box Office as items to cancel and refund (they will appear in red). You can refund all the items, or remove those items that you want to keep and still be valid.
You can then choose the new tickets you want to exchange to, which go into the basket as items to sell against the old items you're refunding.
Once the basket has the items that you want to refund and sell, you can create a new order that will be linked to the original order. This new order may involve new charges - i.e. if the new tickets are cheaper/more expensive or you have added new payment items - in which case you can select the payment method to refund/charge to and complete the payment. If the basket balance immediately comes to zero after adding your new items, then you can simply complete the transaction.
See our Step-by-Step Guide below for more info.
Can I exchange a product?
Yes, you just need to have a ticket in your basket in order to do so.
For more info, see step 2c in our Step-by-Step Guide below.
Linked orders: What is a Parent and Child Order?
A Parent Order is the original order that is being refunded.
A Child Order is the new order that is created after a refund, that is linked to the Parent Order.
Once an exchange is completed you will then be shown the Child Order page, which will have a hyperlink to the original Parent Order, to ensure you can easily navigate between the original and new orders.
What if the new tickets are a different price to the old tickets?
If the new tickets are a lower price then you can refund the difference back to the customer as part of the transaction.
If the new tickets are a higher price then you can take a new payment either with the card that was originally charged or with a different payment method.
Any difference in cost has to be either refunded or paid for in order for the exchange to be completed.
Can I add an exchange fee as part of the transaction?
Yes, you can add additional items to the basket including products or exchange fees.
So if you want to take additional fees as part of the exchange, you can set up exchange fees as Product items, add them to the basket as part of the exchange transaction and charge to the customer.
For more about Products, see here.
What do I need to do before managing Orders?
Sign up to a Line-Up account.
Set up your Organisation.
What do I need to have created by this point?
Your Event by completing the Info page.
Your Price Tables and Price Profiles.
Your Delivery Methods and Opt Ins.
1. Find and manage Order:
a) To find your order, choose from the following options:
- Use the Search bar at the top of any Line-Up page to find an order. Use the customer name, email address, event name or reference number
Reserved Seating (if not see the next option, below)? Go to the Box Office page, select your event and performance and on the venue plan, hover over these seats to check the name attached to the booking
Right-click on the seat and you'll see View Transaction appear - click this and the order will appear on a new tab for you
- Or you can go to the Orders page and use the Filter bar to find the order
b) On the Order page, scroll down to Items and click Exchange - NOTE, the order status (shown in the top left of the Order page) must show as Complete for this button to be available
c) On the pop-up, select which Channel you would like to put the exchange through. If you have different Purchase Flow options, select the correct one from the drop down. Click Save to proceed
Once you select your Channel, the transaction will be reserved in basket and will begin. Want to change the Reservation Expiry time for your Channel? Edit the Booking Time Limit on the Channels page
2. Choose the new tickets you're exchanging to:
a) Click Back to Customer
b) Click Back to Tickets to be taken to the Box Office
c) Select the event, performance and tickets you want to add to your basket
NOTE - want to add products without adding tickets to your basket? As long as the tickets from the previous order are in the basket then continue to step d
d) Click Continue to proceed
3. Add Products to your basket if you wish and click Continue
4. Click Continue on the customer page - NOTE, you can't remove or edit customer details on a Child order
5. Order Options:
a) Select Delivery Method from the drop down. This will replace the Delivery Method that is currently in the basket
NOTE - Delivery Methods are an optional step at Box Office. This might be because you may want to put through an order but not send out the tickets yet, want to print tickets at a later date or you may not want to have a customer on the order. If you choose to skip this step, it will mean that the customer will not receive their tickets when you put through this order
b) Add a Lead Booker Name - optional. You may want to do this if you are making a group booking or want to link with another order
c) Add a Note to order
6. Edit Basket:
a) Choose how much of the order you want to exchange. To remove any individual items from the basket select the red bin icon or Clear Basket to remove all items - NOTE, the items that remain and are in red are what will be refunded, whereas the items in black are the ones you want to sell. Anything that is removed using the red bin button will be kept on the order and therefore still active.
b) To add any more items, click Back to Order Details
7. Charging for a new payment or issuing a refund? (if you don't need to do this, skip to step 8b):
The tickets you are exchanging to may be a different price, or you may have an added an extra item to the basket, such as an exchange fee product. If this is the case then you need to process a new payment.
a) Issuing a refund:
- Select Payment Method from the drop down
- Processing payment via Stripe or a Terminal? Select the correct payment from the Payment to Refund option from the dropdown
- Refunding the entire order with this payment method? Select 'Refund total payment balance' - NOTE, only choose this option if you want to refund the entire amount from the original order. If not, and you want to just refund the balance, see below
- Want to refund only the balance and/or split the refund between this and another payment method? Select 'Refund partial payment balance' and enter the amount to refund using this method - NOTE, if you are processing payment for the difference between the 2 orders then the amount you enter must match the Balance in the basket
b) Charging for a new order (if you've issued a refund, go to step 4c):
- Select Payment Method from the drop down
- Paying for the entire order with this payment method? Select 'Pay total order using this method'
- Want to split the order between this and another payment method? Select 'Pay partial order balance using this method' and enter the amount to pay using this method - NOTE, if you are processing payment for the difference between the 2 orders then the amount you enter must match the Balance in the basket
c) Not ready to complete payment but want to come back to it? Click Save as Reservation and choose from the expiry options
8. Complete Transaction:
a) Taking a payment? Click either Pay & Update Basket Total
Click - NOTE, the Payment Received line must match the Subtotal line in order to for the transaction to be completed. If you have processed payment for part of the order, then you must put through the remaining amount
b) Completing order without taking payment? Click Complete Transaction
c) A new Child Order will then be created. You will then be taken to the Child Order page where you can view all the details, including a link to the Parent Order (i.e. the original order that was refunded) for this transaction