Scroll down for the Step-by-Step Guide on how to process exchanges
KEY TERMS & TIPS:
What is an exchange?
It is where you can make changes to an order, specifically swapping the current tickets and/or products to different tickets/products for another event or performance.
How do I process exchanges?
Via the Orders page, selecting your order and choosing which channel you want to exchange through.
How do exchanges work?
When you start an exchange, the current tickets in the order will be added to the basket in the box-office as items to cancel and refund (they will appear in red). You can refund all the items, or remove those items that you want to keep and still be valid.
You can then choose the new tickets you want to exchange to, which go into the basket as items to sell against the old items you're refunding.
Once the basket has the items that you want to refund and sell, you can create a new order that will be linked to the original order. This new order may involve new charges - i.e. if the new tickets are cheaper/more expensive or you have added new payment items - in which case you can select the payment method to refund/charge to and complete the payment. If the basket balance immediately comes to zero after adding your new items, then you can simply complete the transaction.
See our Step-by-Step Guide below for more info.
Can I exchange a product?
Yes, you just need to have a ticket in your basket in order to do so.
For more info, see step 2c in our Step-by-Step Guide below.
Linked orders: What is a Parent and Child Order?
A Parent Order is the original order that is being refunded.
A Child Order is the new order that is created after a refund, that is linked to the Parent Order.
Once an exchange is completed you will then be shown the Child Order page, which will have a hyperlink to the original Parent Order, to ensure you can easily navigate between the original and new orders.
What if the new tickets are a different price to the old tickets?
If the new tickets are a lower price then you can refund the difference back to the customer as part of the transaction.
If the new tickets are a higher price then you can take a new payment with the card that was originally charged.
Any difference in cost has to be either refunded or paid for in order for the exchange to be completed.
Can I add an exchange fee as part of the transaction?
Yes, you can add additional items to the basket including products or exchange fees.
So if you want to take additional fees as part of the exchange, you can set up exchange fees as product items, add them to the basket as part of the exchange transaction and charge to the customer.
For more about products, see here.
What do I need to do before managing Orders?
Sign up to a Line-Up account.
Set up your Organisation.
What do I need to have created by this point?
Your Event by completing the Info page.
Your Price Tables and Price Profiles.
Your Delivery Methods and Opt Ins.
Your Purchase Flows.
1. Find and manage Order:
a) Use the following options to find an order:
- Select and use the Filter bar to find all complete orders
- Use the Search bar at the top of the page and enter the customer name, email address, event name or reference number attached to the order
- Via the Performances page of the event, click into the individual performance and select - you will then see a full Transaction Items list for that performance where you can click into each order
b) On the Order page, select - NOTE, the order status (shown in the top left of the Order page) must show as 'Complete' for the Exchange Order button to be available. See our Troubleshooting Guide for more info
c) Select which Channel you would like to put the exchange through. Once you select your Channel, the transaction will be reserved in basket and will begin. Want to change the Reservation Expiry time for your Channel? Edit the Booking Time Limit on the Channels page
2. Choose the new tickets you're exchanging to:
a) Select Back to Customer and then Back to Tickets
b) Select the event you want to exchange to
c) Select next to the ticket(s) you want to exchange to
NOTE - want to add products without adding tickets to your basket? As long as the tickets from the previous order are in the basket then continue to step d
d) Select to go to your Basket
3. Edit Basket:
a) Check Basket details - to check Adjuster details click
b) Choose how much of the order you want to exchange. To remove any items from the Basket select or - NOTE, the items that remain and are in red are what will be refunded, whereas the items in black are the ones you want to sell. Anything that is removed using the red bin button will be kept on the order and therefore still active
c) Select Delivery Method from the drop down. You will have needed to create these and attach to your Event prior to this step. See here for more info
d) Select to go to payment or complete transaction
4. Charging for a new payment or issuing a refund? (if you don't need to do this, skip to step 5):
The tickets you are exchanging to may be a different price, or you may have an added an extra item to the basket, such as an exchange fee product. If this is the case then you need to process a new payment.
a) Issuing a refund:
- Select Payment Method from the drop down
- Processing payment via Stripe or a Terminal? Select the correct payment from the Payment to Refund option from the dropdown
- Refunding the entire order with this payment method? Select 'Refund total payment balance' - NOTE, only choose this option if you want to refund the entire amount from the original order. If not, and you want to just refund the balance, see below
- Want to refund only the balance and/or split the refund between this and another payment method? Select 'Refund partial payment balance' and enter the amount to refund using this method - NOTE, if you are processing payment for the difference between the 2 orders then the amount you enter must match the Balance in the basket
b) Charging for a new order (if you've issued a refund, go to step 4c):
- Select Payment Method from the drop down
- Paying for the entire order with this payment method? Select 'Pay total order using this method'
- Want to split the order between this and another payment method? Select 'Pay partial order balance using this method' and enter the amount to pay using this method - NOTE, if you are processing payment for the difference between the 2 orders then the amount you enter must match the Balance in the basket
c) Not ready to complete payment but want to come back to it? Select
d) Ready to complete payment? Select - NOTE, the Payment Received line must match the Subtotal line in order to for the transaction to be completed. If you have processed payment for part of the order, then you must put through the remaining amount
5. Complete Transaction:
a) Check Basket details. If you want to make any changes or add more items, go back to the Customer and/or Tickets section. (NOTE - you can't change customer details on a refund or exchange. See our Troubleshooting Guide for more info)
b) Happy? Select and the new Child Order will be created. You will then be taken to the Child Order page where you can view all the details, including a link to the Parent Order (i.e. the original order that was refunded) for this transaction
NEXT STEP: Want to refund your order? Learn how to process refunds
Want to make changes to customer details? Learn how to manage customers